Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Duck Fan Forum > Front Page Discussions > Rubber Duck Collecting and the Path to Mastery
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1
Rubber Duck Collecting and the Path to Mastery (Read 1610 times)
charlotte
Rubber Duck Collecting and the Path to Mastery    posted on Nov 8th, 2012, 12:26am

Back in August, I gave a talk on Rubber Duck Collecting and the Path to Mastery for the local Ignite talk series where people are given 5 minutes and 20 slides that autoadvance for their whole talk. It is a pretty challenging format that forces one to be concise and to really think about what visuals to put up when. I was nervous beforehand, but once I got up there on stage I was having a good time despite having a couple hundred people looking at me. But such is the power of the ducks people loved the talk, especially the photos that Marcel and I took. Afterwards, people came up and high-fived me! Go duckies! 5 minute video.
mrquackers
Re: Rubber Duck Collecting and the Path to Mastery    posted on Nov 10th, 2012, 1:35am

Very interesting video.  At about the three minute mark I could see why pacing and photo sequence was important.  I enjoyed the presentation and the duckie photos.  Personally, I don't think I could give a five minute speech, with or without a slide show.
charlotte
Re: Rubber Duck Collecting and the Path to Mastery    posted on Nov 10th, 2012, 6:15pm

It was a tough challenge! When I applied to give the talk I thought it would be fun but when it came time to actually put the talk together, I was pulling my hair out. 5 minutes is hardly any time at all and the slides march (waddle) on relentlessly. I had to repeatedly cut words out of my talk as I was practicing. There was one time in the talk where I got behind at about 4:10 and then had to rush to catch up.
ducksmile
Re: Rubber Duck Collecting and the Path to Mastery    posted on Nov 12th, 2012, 9:56pm

Hi Charlotte!!

I just watched this and was SOOOO impressed and thought you did a wonderful job!  I was facinated with the talk and the photos, too.  Give you great credit for doing it in front of so many people, too.  Did anyone ask about duckplanet and become a member?
postcardgirl
Re: Rubber Duck Collecting and the Path to Mastery    posted on Nov 17th, 2012, 11:31pm

Love it!  You did a great job!  Cool
charlotte
Re: Rubber Duck Collecting and the Path to Mastery    posted on Nov 26th, 2012, 12:28am

Thanks, Shari and Valli! Valli, nobody asked me about Duckplanet and it is possible somebody signed up because of it but I don't have any way to know unless they post!
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1