Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Duck Fan Forum > Town Square > Spam on this forum
Register to Reply Register to Reply Town Square Town Square Help Help Search Search Pages: 1
Spam on this forum (Read 654 times)
isabelledc
Spam on this forum    posted on Apr 18th, 2012, 7:39am

I have the feeling that a lot of spam is reaching this forum lately.
Maybe the manager of this forum can include a security code or a Captcha, when one wants to add a message.
Just a suggestion

greetz
fishbone
Re: Spam on this forum    posted on Apr 18th, 2012, 9:40am

I agree, or at least new users not to be allowed to post new messages without authorization of the admins.
kite
Re: Spam on this forum    posted on Apr 18th, 2012, 4:31pm

Registration requires a code to be typed in, and spammers get around it.  Indications seem to be that most spam is entered manually.  Frankly, I'd like to ban certain email domains, since 90% of the spam is coming from users of a handful of free email services.  But the board software is limited in what measures can be implemented.  I check the board multiple times a day and delete and ban spammers; I'm seeing spam about once a week.  If something's particularly offensive or I'm not getting to it fast enough, you're welcome to bring my attention to it.  
YaBB Administrator
Re: Spam on this forum    posted on Apr 19th, 2012, 1:49am

I too delete & ban a spammer about once a week, so that makes 2 x 5 messages per week  Angry

So far all the spam is entered manually (I put in safeguards against the automated scripts), so a captcha or the like is not going to work. There is already a limitation on the number of posts a new user can make, which helps in limiting the spam messages.
I will look into seeing if I can make it so that certain email domain users need to be authorized before they can post, but I'm not too sure if the software allows that.
Register to Reply Register to Reply Town Square Town Square Help Help Search Search Pages: 1