Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Duck Fan Forum > Front Page Discussions > Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!! (Read 7750 times)
wildflower
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Mar 20th, 2009, 8:36am

Sorry I can't make it this year.  

I hope it is a wonderful Duckfest.
Camoduck
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Mar 21st, 2009, 1:12am

what is duck fest
Ducky95 Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Mar 21st, 2009, 10:08pm

Quote from digicolleen on Mar 19th, 2009, 11:57pm:
Duckfest will take place in Manhattan below 80th ST. I'm still working on an exact fun location. Also will post some hotels soon  Smiley

Thanks!  Smiley
charlotte
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:25am

Quote from Camoduck on Mar 21st, 2009, 1:12am:
what is duck fest

It's the annual meeting for rubber duck collectors who are 18 and up!  Smiley
digicolleen
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Mar 25th, 2009, 12:27am

Hello everyone,

Duckfest '09 is held at 833 Broadway one block from Union Square at the corner of 13th Street in Manhattan. Sites like hotels.com have Union Square as a landmark so you can use that as a starting point. If searching by zip code, the two closest zips are 10003 and 10011. If you have any questions about specific neighborhoods or hotels, let me know.

Staying in Manhattan:
Union Square is available by several NYC Subway lines (4, 5, 6, N, Q, R, W, L) so it is easily accessible by hotels almost anywhere on Manhattan below 80th Street. Of course there are taxi cabs everywhere. If the subway seems confusing, it is easy and quick to cab around town.
- W is the most notable Union Square hotel, but is pricey. There are a few in the area that have slightly better rates.
- Chelsea neighborhood has some reasonable rates right now and is within walking or cab distance (if you're packing a lot of duckies).  
- Times Square is hit or miss as far as rates, but worth checking out.
- The Upper West Side (zip 10024) usually has decent rates, is close to Central Park but not a lot of nightlife action if that's your bag.
- Financial District (zips 10006 1003Cool may have some decent deals on the weekends since they are primarily business hotels.  

Staying in Brooklyn or Queens:
There are several subway lines that service Brooklyn, the most direct is the L straight to Union Square from the Williamsburg area. If you have any questions about Brooklyn or Queens neighborhoods or need transport recommendations from those areas, let me know. BTW, there are quite a few hotels around the NYC airports, but the time back and forth to Manhattan is pretty lengthy so not recommended.

Staying in Jersey:
If you are staying in Jersey, PATH Trains may be the easiest way to get to Manhattan and there's an easy transfer at the PATH 33rd Street Station to the N, Q, R, W lines. NJ Transit trains may also be a good way to get in the city like if you are staying near the Newark airport. If you have any questions about Jersey cities or need transport recommendations from those areas, let me know.

Staying Connecticut or Long Island:
The Metro North or LIRR trains may be the easiest way to get in to the City and those stop at Grand Central Terminal where you can easily pick up the 4, 5, or 6 subway lines straight to Union Square.

Staying in Massachusetts or DC:
Well, probably not recommended but you can easily take Amtrak from these cities and points in between which arrives at Penn Station for a short walk to the trains that go to Union Square.  

Transit Links:
Here are links to the NYC Subway Trip Planner and other relevant transport sites:
NYC Subway Planner
http://tripplanner.mta.info/

NYC Subway Tourist Info (subway maps, etc.)
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/tourism/index.html

PATH System
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/

NJ Transit
http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Metro North Transit
http://www.mta.info/mnr/

Long Island Railroad (LIRR)
http://www.mta.info/lirr/
lucy
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Apr 4th, 2009, 5:47pm

OMG... My first summer job was as a waitress in a cofffee shop on the corner of 13th street and University Place, one block west of where Duckfest will be. Thats wild. Roll Eyes
Duckaru
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Apr 23rd, 2009, 4:35pm

I'm iffy. I've been looking into trains there from Pittsburgh, but to be honest, it's pretty expensive and I am a bit frightened of big, strange cities..and Manhattan is about as big as it gets (I didn't say strange)! As for cabs....I wouldn't even know where to start with them.
Setting me loose alone in NYC would be like laying a minnow down in the middle of the Autobahn.
I wish I could give you a positive response, Colleen!
digicolleen
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Apr 25th, 2009, 9:14pm

I hope you find a deal on a train ride to NYC. All you would have to do once you get here (probably would be at Penn Station) is find a street, stick your arm out, and wait for a cab to pull up. Then tell the driver "To Duckfest!".....well, you would have to give them the address, too, I suppose Wink Didn't Luna tell you how much fun she had last year? Haha.

The key to not being overwhelmed in this city is to just follow signs. The streets are all numbered so it's hard to get lost (Thank goodness for that because I have a terrible sense of direction). Penn Station is at 34th St.- Duckfest is at 13th St. That's not a long ride. The streets out here are very short.

You could also bring along a friend-

There ARE definitely some strange people in this city-I'm not even going to try and deny that one-haha-but it makes for great entertainment Wink

Hope this helps persuade you to come out!
charlotte
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Apr 26th, 2009, 3:40am

Quote from Duckaru on Apr 23rd, 2009, 4:35pm:
I'm iffy. I've been looking into trains there from Pittsburgh, but to be honest, it's pretty expensive and I am a bit frightened of big, strange cities..and Manhattan is about as big as it gets (I didn't say strange)! As for cabs....I wouldn't even know where to start with them.
Setting me loose alone in NYC would be like laying a minnow down in the middle of the Autobahn.
I wish I could give you a positive response, Colleen!

When would you plan on getting in? Marcel and I might be able to meet you at Penn Station and we could go to Duckfest together.
Duckaru
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on May 7th, 2009, 5:30pm

Coleen, Charlotte, and Marcel: you are wonderful people. I really want to come. I will work on it, and let you know the specs.
~Luna's pal
digicolleen
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on May 28th, 2009, 2:31am

Happiness is......DUCKFEST!

58 more days! Woohoo!
digicolleen
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Jun 4th, 2009, 2:51pm

Everyone should have received an invite by now. Let me know if you didn't.

Not too many from Duckplanet have RSVP'd. Come on, you guys! It's going to be lots of fun!
charlotte
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Jun 5th, 2009, 3:59am

Quote from Duckaru on May 7th, 2009, 5:30pm:
Coleen, Charlotte, and Marcel: you are wonderful people. I really want to come. I will work on it, and let you know the specs.
~Luna's pal

Duckaru, We are still willing to meet you. Let us know!
samme10104
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Jun 6th, 2009, 7:54am

I would totally be there if I had the money to take a trip...
starrduck
Re: Announcing Duckfest 2009 in NYC!!!    posted on Jun 9th, 2009, 6:05am

i am new to this forum.  I have been collecting ducks for about 3 years.  I never knew about duckfest before.  I am so excited to go for my first time in july.
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1 2 3 4