Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Duck Fan Forum > Front Page Discussions > Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1
Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike (Read 2148 times)
charlotte
Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Oct 24th, 2008, 3:04am

Duckplanet recently got this fabulous postcard announcing Lucy Sander Sceery's exhibition Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike. The postcard features a photograph of some of Sceery's pressed duck artworks. Somehow we can't stop staring at the squished little duckies. It's probably the same fascination we had as kids when our friends would press their faces up to glass windows to make us laugh. There is something both disturbing and amusing about seeing someone, or in this case something, that we know so well be made alien and different while remaining familiar. And these ducks are very familiar to Duckplanet as we have them all in our collection--mercifully unpressed!

The show will be at the Westport Arts Center's Studio Gallery in Westport, Connecticut from October 30 through November 30. In addition to the pressed duck works there will be photographs and paintings featuring rubber ducks. If you live nearby, you won't want to miss this exhibition as Sceery does not often have opportunities to show her rubber duck works. The opening will be on Thursday, October 30, 2008 from 6:30 to 8:30pm.

For more information visit the Westport Art Center's webpage: http://www.westportartscenter.org/
fishbone
Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Oct 24th, 2008, 9:57am

cry cry cry
Just feel sorry for all those pressed ducks.
lucy
Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Oct 24th, 2008, 4:24pm

WOW that looks great Charlotte, thank you so much Smiley and fishbone, they all died of natural causes and so never felt a thing. And their spirits live on...happily Roll Eyes
jbeep2
Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Oct 24th, 2008, 11:05pm

Lucy, I'll be going at some point, thank you for sending me a 'flyer'!  I won't be able to go on the opening day, but I will make it!! Smiley
samme10104
Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Oct 25th, 2008, 12:04pm

Wish I could make it...but too far away!
Ducky95 Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Oct 25th, 2008, 2:00pm

That is kinda sad that they press the ducks like that.  Sad
HazelFortress
Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Oct 29th, 2008, 11:59pm

I am oddly fascinated by this.  Where did the inspiration come from?
lucy
Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Oct 31st, 2008, 2:39pm

I like using'word play' in this series(Not all rubber ducks look alike). So actually the title comes first and then I produce a work of interpretation. So in "Pressed Duck" I stuffed a plexi cube with ducks that I had pressed by melting and pressing them under weights. I liked the idea, as noted by Charlotte, of them looking like they were pressing their face against a window.  "Pressed duck #2" was inspired when I found a mini flower pressing kit. It was two 2 inch squares of plywood with wing nuts and bolts in each corner. I thought I could use plexi in place of the wood and a duck in place of the flower and wallą "Pressed Duck #2". I presently have 50 pressed ducks in this exhibit, but it is a work in progress and I will keep adding to it. Cool
postcardgirl
Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Oct 31st, 2008, 8:23pm

Lucy, I have a question for you but can't email you through the board, could you please email me?  postcardgirl @ Gmail.com  Thanks!   Cool
jbeep2
Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Nov 24th, 2008, 10:03pm

Lucy,  
Went to your exhibit on Saturday, I loved it!!  Absolutely great work, and I loved all of the different "play on word"'s. My favorite one was the 'not a sitting duck'. So cute. Here is a photo of Tolo duck outside of the art exhibit Smiley

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24418400@N03/3057293530/
lucy
Re: Exhibition: Not All Rubber Ducks Look Alike    posted on Nov 29th, 2008, 5:46am

Roll EyesThanks, I'm glad you got to see it. I love the photo of Tolo duck, that duck is one of my favorite ducks. As a matter of fact I did a large oil painting of him sitting in his chair. That painting hangs in our dining room. Smiley
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1