Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Duck Fan Forum > Front Page Discussions > Another Successful Duckfest!
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1
Another Successful Duckfest! (Read 2505 times)
charlotte
Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Aug 11th, 2008, 1:06am

The sixth annual rubber duck collector's convention, Duckfest, was held on Saturday, August 2 just outside of Seattle, Washington (USA). Featuring the usual rounds of duck trading, show and tell of photo books, rubber duck themed games and of course the proud display of the host's collection, there were smiles all around. This year our gracious host was long time Duckplanet member Colleen (Squeakybeaks) who went the extra yard, baking a duck-shaped cake, duck shaped cookies, painting an extra large devil duck for pin-the-horn on the devil duck, decorating the yard with ducks, and providing an assortment of duck shaped crackers (available at a store near you!). Squeakybeaks has the distinction of having attended all of the last four Duckfests! She now ties Don Francis for having attending the most Duckfests (aside from yours truly and husband leduck). Thank you Colleen for being such a great supporter of Duckplanet and Duckfest!

As usual the highlight of Duckfest was just getting together in person and spending time with other people who know and love rubber ducks. Putting faces to names can be so rewarding after spending countless hours posting and reading on Duckplanet!

That said never let it be said that we shy away from some healthy competition, this year's overall duck game winner was Rachel! Rachel takes the crown from Colleen (squeakybeaks) who was proceeded in earlier years by Ellonyia (2006) and Doug (2005).

This year was our first international Duckfest thanks to the attendance of the intrepid family of Angela (Duckworth aka The Prom Dress Girl) who traveled all the way from beautiful the Prince Edward Islands. Years ago, Angela's mom Rose, told Angela that she could attend Duckfest when she was 19 and made good on her promise this year! As we discovered from the decorate-your-own-duck activity, Duckworth really knows her pi!  

Also attending Duckfest for the first time were Maggie (HazelFortress) and her mom Deborah from Ohio. Maggie is famous for making umpteen trips to a gumball machine in a Mexican restaurant to liberate full sets of rubber ducks for several Duckplanet members.  This year we had a special visitor from New York, Donovan, a writer and Friend of the Duck. Watch this space for news about his upcoming article in Harper's Magazine.

Rachel (wildflower) traveled to Duckfest all the way from and to Santa Barbara via train! This was Rachel's 3rd Duckfest, putting her in the running for "Duckfest oldtimer" status. Valli (ducksmile) who was one of our charming co-hosts along with Sheila and Jason in 2006 made the trek from Illinois and triumphed in guessing how many rubber ducks were inside of a giant Ball jar. Her prize was a box of lottery tickets and--the dozens of duckies inside the jar!

Dedicated Rubber Duck Photographer Colleen (Digicolleen)of DuckShow fame and her husband James (aka Fletch) made the trek from the Big Apple and have very graciously agreed to host next year's Duckfest in New York City! This will be the first Duckfest on the East Coast so we hope to see a lot of new faces there in addition to old friends. In the meantime, happy duck hunting!
ducksmile
Re: Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Aug 11th, 2008, 1:16am

My thanks to Colleen for the great time at Duckfest 08!  I have some great pictures that I want to share, too.  In England, David, of Just ducks says "sheds full" when he means a lot of things.  Colleen had HER shed full of great ducks for us to view!  Big thanks for the jar of OTC's too!  There were dozens that I did not have! What great fun it was to meet the new people who love ducks!  Just when you think you know all about ducks, someone has a new idea and new story!
samme10104
Re: Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Aug 13th, 2008, 11:24am

Oo, I would so love to go to a Duckfest. And NYC would be great fun too! I will have to try to start saving some money so I can make it next year!
squeakybeaks
Re: Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Aug 14th, 2008, 7:13am

Aw shucks! (Where's the blushing duck icon?) Glad you all had fun!
I've already started saving for NYC in '09...
Ducky95 Re: Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Aug 19th, 2008, 7:02pm

Looks like you had fun! Smiley
HazelFortress
Re: Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:19pm

I know I'm really late chiming in here, but I just wanted to add my love for Duckfest 08 and a very big Thank You to Colleen. I almost have my scrapbook done. And I already warned my bosses about next year.  Tongue
duckylover78
Re: Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Aug 28th, 2008, 8:43pm

I am so mad at myself, I live in seattle and I was on vacation during the 2nd of Augast so I never got to go, It looks like it was so much fun!!! Maybe I will get to go someday!  Wink
digicolleen
Re: Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Oct 28th, 2008, 9:06pm

I just wanted to share the cutest picture that Duckaru sent me! Luna T. Duck made a safe arrival back to Pennsylvania after going to Duckfest:

Looks like some of the flock were waiting to hear all the exciting adventures of Duckfest! Hopefully Duckaru and Luna T. Duck will come out to Duckfest NYC next year! Wink
charlotte
Re: Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Oct 30th, 2008, 12:21am

What a great photo! Looks to me like Duckaru should be contributing to the annual duck calendars!!! Welcome home, Luna!
Duckaru
Re: Another Successful Duckfest!    posted on Oct 30th, 2008, 4:22pm

Yeah, Luna slept for three days after she came home. Thanks for showing a duck a good time!
Glad you liked the picture. (Check out the lovely mid-summer lawn we had!!)
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1