Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Duck Fan Forum > Front Page Discussions > The Story of the Duck Truck
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1
The Story of the Duck Truck (Read 1821 times)
charlotte
The Story of the Duck Truck    posted on Jun 4th, 2008, 10:21pm

David Broadnax, 58, of Mint Hill, North Carolina was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Today he spends more time behind the wheel of the Duck Truck than he does flying helicopters. In 2005, David became interested in putting together a small business selling jams, jellies, pickles, etc. off the tailgate of his 1949 Chevy Pickup Truck as farmers used to do on the side of the road and still do today at farmer's markets.  

He named the truck after his mother "Miss Essie Mae" who is 83 years old and lives in Georgia; and named his business "Tailgate Farms". As the business began to grow, he recognized the need to offer gift packages.  Consequently,  he began building small, wooden produce crates and stuffing them full of delicious handcrafted treats.   Along with the treats, he would nest a Surprise Duckie in the straw to protect the treats. There is no charge for the Duckie, its only intent is to bring a smile to someone's face.  

Eventually he thought to himself, "Why not create a 'Duck Truck' and get folks to join the fun I was having!" He commissioned the creation of a big fiberglass ducks and attached it to his truck. As you can imagine, his truck gets a lot of attention when it drives down the road. Says David: "Even if you don't like pickles, you're going to love the Duckie." Here at Duckplanet, we certainly do!
dancingduck9
Re: The Story of the Duck Truck    posted on Jun 5th, 2008, 3:33am

That's n Mechlenberg County NC. I'll be right below that after I move. I may have to drive up and see this duck truck. Besides I love pickles and ducks! Thanks for the article! Smiley
charlotte
Re: The Story of the Duck Truck    posted on Jun 6th, 2008, 1:36am

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it!  Smiley
Daisy_D
Re: The Story of the Duck Truck    posted on Jul 14th, 2008, 11:25pm

Neat duck.....what an attitude  cry

daisy
AmericanDucky
Re: The Story of the Duck Truck    posted on Jul 15th, 2008, 2:47am

Awesome! I need to get a picture on the back of that thing!  Cool Shocked Cool
Register to Reply Register to Reply Front Page Discussions Front Page Discussions Help Help Search Search Pages: 1